While for some, the holidays are over, for football fans the holiday has just begun. Enter the Big Game, the second largest food holiday in the country, taking place February 2, 2020. And guests are bringing their appetites, which can mean big sales for food retailers.
The National Retail Federation (NRF) estimates that Big Game watchers plan to spend $14.8 billion on Big Game celebrations, with 79% of that total dedicated to food and beverages. What goodies will customers stock up on? These stats will give you a pretty good idea.
- 44 million Americans plan to host a Big Game party and 60.9 million plan to attend a party, according to the NRF.
- In 2018, Americans spent $387 million on savory snacks for the Big Game, according to trade organization SNAC International.
- According to the National Chicken Council Americans ate 1.38 billion wings during the 2019 Big Game. That’s enough wings to circle around the earth 3 times!
- National pizza chain Dominos reported selling approximately 2 million pizzas during the 2019 Big Game.
- Americans spent nearly $58.4 million on avocados to celebrate the 2019 Big Game, based on a report released by the Haas Avocado Board. That’s A LOT of guac…
- According to data collected by Frito-Lay, 80% of Americans will be eating potato chips or tortilla chips during the 2019 big game.
- Based on a survey by SNAC International, the amount of tortilla chips purchased for the 2018 festivities could stretch across the US about 2.5 times.
- In 2017, $89 million was spent on popcorn for the Big Game, according to ABC news.
- It was estimated that Americans would purchase 88 million pounds of cheese for the 2019 Big Game, according to Food & Wine magazine.
- Don’t forget dessert! Confectionery sales for the big game totaled $484 million in 2015, based on an IRI survey.
Not matter what team they’re rooting for, desserts will make customers’ Big Game viewing party a winner. Check out our full selection of Big Game themed treats.